Its always nice to see something that changes an emulation scene. With n64 emulation that brought texture replacement to your favourite games, and continues today with many packs posted on our forum.
But its nice to finally see progress even if its baby steps with the support of high res texture replacement for the original playstation, with the bounty for support in beetle for libertro making strikes towards its goal, along comes another modification of beetle to support high res textures that you can try today.
stoofin has released a build of 0.1wip that supports texture replacement of the popular game chrono cross, with a supporting 5gb texturepack available to try it out:
Modified retroarch's beetle psx core to replace chrono cross' textures. Dumped the textures from the isos using various community tools and upscaled 4x with waifu2x, gigapixel, and esrgan (using some of the models on the wiki).
The texture pack right now is 5GB, but it's a bit bloated because it's using pngs. If anyone wants to try it out there are core binaries on github with instructions and here's a mega link for the texture pack itself. Probably not the best place to host this.
If anyone wants to try their hand at a better upscale let me know and I can share some tools that would be useful.
GearSystem is a Sega Master System / Game Gear emulator written in C++ that runs on iOS, Raspberry Pi, Mac, Windows and Linux. The main focus of this emulator is readability of source code with very high compatibility.
- Highly accurate Z80 core.
- Multi-Mapper support: SEGA, Codemasters, and ROM only cartridges.
- External RAM support with save files.
- Automatic region detection: NTSC-JAP, NTSC-USA, PAL-EUR.
- SMS2 only 224 mode support.
- Internal database for rom detection.
- Sound emulation using SDL Audio and Sms_Snd_Emu library.
- Integrated disassembler. It can dump the full disassembled memory to a text file or access it in real time.
- Compressed rom support (ZIP deflate).
- Multi platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Raspberry Pi and iOS.
Windows, Linux, macOS and Raspberry Pi 4:
Full Debugger for Master System, Game Gear and SG-1000.
Z80 disassembler with breakpoints and debug symbols.
TMS9918 inspector, including pattern tables, name tables, sprites and palettes.
Open rom using cli argument.
Emulation parameters like region, system, mapper, etc.
Load gamepad mappings from file.
Several bug fixes.